Spreads, Sauces & Glazes
Our Hawai’i Harvest Beneficial Blends are easy to combine with a variety of ingredients to make a quick sauce or glaze. Here are a few of our favorites to stimulate your imagination and taste buds.
Creamy Sandwich Spread
This creamy spread enhances the flavor of meats, cheeses and fresh or roasted vegetables paired with your favorite bread. Refrigerate any leftover spread.
- 2 Tablespoons Hawai’i Harvest Beneficial Blends Turmeric, Ginger & Honey
- 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise (we like to use vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Blend together until smooth and then generously apply to both sides of the bread.
With thanks to Kaniu and Leon Stocksdale
Poaching Sauce for Salmon, Snapper or Cod
- 1 Tablespoon Hawai’i Harvest Beneficial Blends Heavenly Ginger & Honey
- 2 Tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 5-6 coarsely chopped green onions
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
Blend all ingredients, pour over fish, cover and bake.
“Onolicious” Basic Glaze and Sauce For Pork
In Hawaiian, ‘ono” means “very tasty” or “delicious”. The 3-ingredient base of this recipe makes an easy glaze for ham. By adding another 3 ingredients you have a different, delicious glaze or sauce for pork chops, ribs, and chicken. What could be easier?
For the first glaze, blend together:
- 6 Tablespoons Hawai’i Harvest Beneficial Blends Turmeric, Ginger & Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons tamari
To make the second glaze or sauce use this first mixture as a base, then add the following ingredients and heat until bubbling:
- 6 Tablespoons organic ketchup
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
This will keep in the refrigerator for a week and can be frozen for longer storage.
Herbed Vegetable Glaze
Root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes, as well as winter squashes, lend themselves to being diced into 1 inch cubes and either roasted or sautéed with a glaze. Use either the Turmeric, Ginger & Honey (we suggest pairing with orange juice) OR the Heavenly Ginger & Honey Beneficial Blends (suggested pairing with lemon juice) in this recipe. Try different combinations of herbs and the spice and honey blends. Expand ingredient amounts to fit the amount of vegetables being prepared. Make a double or triple batch of the glaze and refrigerate up to 2 weeks for quick and convenient use.
- 2 Tablespoons Hawai’i Harvest Beneficial Blends
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice OR orange juice
- 2 teaspoons butter or coconut oil
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary, summer savory or parsley or pinches of dried herbs, including caraway and coriander
Blend all ingredients except herbs in small pan and heat only until honey is incorporated. Brush glaze on diced vegetables and place in skillet or roasting pan. Add herb of your choice except parsley (which is chopped and sprinkled on vegetables after cooking). Cook until tender and serve.