Tips for Baking With Honey
Baking with honey requires some recipe modifications in addition to the substitution of honey for sugar.
- Oven Temperature: Reduce temperature by 25 degrees, as honey causes baked goods to brown more quickly.
- Baking Soda: Add ¼ tsp for every cup of honey used if baking soda is not already called for in the recipe.
- Liquid: For every one cup of honey added, reduce the liquid called for in the recipe by ¼ cup.
- Sugar Substitution: The amount of honey used to substitute for sugar will vary depending upon how much sugar is called for in the ingredients.
- For Breadmaking which uses very little sugar, substitute any equal amount of honey for sugar.
- In Sweet Bread Recipes calling for 1 cup of sugar or less you can substitute a 25% smaller amount of honey because honey is sweeter than sugar. Example: for one cup of sugar substitute ¾ cup of honey. Reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.
- For Cakes and Sweet Breads which use more than one cup of sugar the most fail-proof starting point is to substitute honey for one half of the sugar. Remember to adjust oven temperature and liquid quantities in the recipe. You can experiment with greater amounts of honey or use one of our recipes as a template. The recipes that follow will get you started.
Golden Carrot Macadamia Nut Bread
Yield: 2 large loaves or 6 small loaves
- 3 ½ cups sifted flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups honey (may use 1 cup Hawai’i Harvest Turmeric blend + 1 cup Lehua Honey for added spice flavor)
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate out ½ cup flour. Submerge raisins in water, drain, and dredge in flour.
- Mix together remaining 3 cups flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl beat together eggs, honey, oil and vanilla.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and carrots to egg and honey mixture, stirring to blend, then add nuts and raisins.
- Fill greased pans ½ full.
- Bake large loaves 50-60 minutes and small loaves 40-45 minutes.
- Upon removal from oven immediately loosen edges and turn out right side up onto baking racks to cool.
Spiced Honey-Apple Custard Pie
- 1- 9” unbaked pie shell
- 2 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 cup plain yogurt whole fat
- ½ cup Hawai’i Harvest Lehua Honey
- ¼ cup Hawai’i Harvest Turmeric, Ginger & Honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Spread apple slices over pie shell. Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender and pour custard mixture over the apple slices. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and bake 45 minutes or until the custard is set. Allow to cool before cutting.